Discount strategies are the first responders to the rescue when your stocks are moving a lot slower than expected. Discounts are one of the most common short-term marketing strategies employed by retail businesses to combat the loss in revenue.
BOGO or Buy One Get One offers are one such marketing strategy that is proven to make a difference in sales figures. They offer a momentary boost in sales by attracting customers who may otherwise not have landed on your site.
Let’s look at WooCommerce BOGO deals in detail to understand why businesses across the globe make use of them.
Is BOGO the right strategy for your store?
One of the key questions that revolve around BOGO is its effectiveness. Getting a free product while purchasing sounds great and it is sure to bring more audience. But, is giving away free products profitable?
Offering products for free can certainly dig a hole in your net profit, but you can circumvent this through proper techniques and practices. For starters, BOGO and other discount deals should only be offered for a short period of time and only occasionally. This discourages people from waiting for discounts and creates FOMO (fear of missing out) during sales.
Another prime strategy you can enforce is to give away dead or excess stock. This way you can save a ton on storing it and at the same time build customer trust. Creating a good brand image is a step towards success. Giving away products and offering discounts are good practices that pave the way toward creating a successful brand image.
Additionally, BOGO attracts the eye of many new customers. In fact, most customers search for discounts and BOGO offers before deciding on the platform to purchase from. This will aid in the development of your customer base. Offering giveaway products even help you reduce cart abandonment – for obvious reasons!
Moreover, offering BOGO not only improves the sales for the products you are promoting but also attracts attention to other products in your store. Sure, you may have to give them a nudge through techniques like upselling and cross-selling, but this traffic can work magic. It will help you bring in a group of customers who are ready to make the purchase.
So to sum up, WooCommerce Buy One Get One offers
- Helps to clear out stagnant stock
- Attracts more customers
- Helps improve customer satisfaction
- Builds brand trust in your customers
- Improves the average sales
- Reduces cart abandonment
How to set up BOGO offers in WooCommerce?
You can implement BOGO deals in WooCommerce with coupons. However, coupon management is not available in WooCommerce by default. So you will have to use a plugin to help you through the process.
‘Smart Coupons for WooCommerce’ is a plugin from WebToffee that enables you to add coupon management features to your WooCommerce store. The plugin is available in free and premium versions, both of which offer BOGO coupon creation.
Note that you will need the premium version of the WooCommerce coupon plugin to configure advanced features like category-wise coupon restrictions, multiple giveaway options, etc.
Now, let’s look at creating WooCommerce Buy One Get One offers with the free version of the plugin ‘Smart Coupons for WooCommerce’.
To create WooCommerce Buy One Get One offers,
Step 1: Install and activate the plugin.
- On your WordPress dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for the plugin ‘Smart Coupons for WooCommerce Coupons’.
- Install and activate the plugin.
Step 2: Create a ‘Buy One Get One’ offer
A WooCommerce Buy One Get One offer can be of many types. Let’s look at creating a ‘Buy any one product and Get One for free/at a discount’, and ‘Buy a specific product and Get one for free/at a discount’ coupon creation.
- On your WordPress dashboard, go to Marketing > Coupons.
- Click on Add coupon and provide a coupon code and description.
- Navigate to Coupon data > General.
- Set the Discount type as BOGO (Buy X Get X/Y) offer.
- Select whether you want to apply the coupon once or multiple times to a single cart under Number of times. That is, whether you want your customer to avail a giveaway every time the product satisfying the coupon conditions is added to the cart or whether to offer the giveaway only once no matter how many times you add the product you are promoting to the cart. For example, if you have a ‘Buy a MacBook Pro Get an AirPods free’ offer, if you select Apply repeatedly you will get 2 AirPods free when you purchase 2 MacBooks. However, if Apply once is chosen, even if you buy 2 or more MacBooks you will only get 1 AirPods for free
- Configure the other options such as free shipping, coupon scheduling, etc., as per your requirements.
- Go to the Usage limits and Checkout options tabs and configure the required features.
- Navigate to the Giveaway products tab.
- Choose the product that you want to offer to the customers purchasing the products that you are promoting.
- Once the product is selected, change the Quantity to 1. Also, change the Price/Discount to your required values.
For example: Choose
– 100% to give the product away for free.
– 50% to offer the giveaway product at half price.
– $50 to deduct $50 from the price of the giveaway product.
11. Now configure the cart qualifying conditions under the Usage restriction and publish the coupon.
Let’s look into configuring the cart qualifying conditions for previously mentioned coupon types in detail.
Buy any one product and get one for free/at a discount
The cart qualifying condition in this scenario is ‘any one product’, meaning add any product in the shop to the cart to qualify for the WooCommerce Buy One Get One coupon.
To set this up, go to Usage restriction under Coupon data and choose the Minimum quantity of matching product as 1.
Once you have published the coupon, add any product in your store to the cart to qualify for the giveaway.
Buy a specific product and get one for free/at a discount
This type of discount can be used to promote a particular product in your store. Here the coupon will only be applicable if a specific product that you have mentioned is added to the cart.
To set this up, navigate to Usage restriction and check the options Product/Category restrictions and Individual quantity restriction. Under the Products field, specify the qualifying product and set the Min. Quantity as 1. You can publish the coupon once you have done configuring it.
Here, when you add the product ‘blue bag’ to the cart, you become eligible for the BOGO coupon.
You can create more WooCommerce BOGO deals with the free version of the Smart Coupons for WooCommerce plugin. It includes BOGO deals such as ‘Buy 2 Get 1 at a discount’, ‘ Buy for $X and get $Y off for a product’, etc. You can also use the premium version of the plugin to create more advanced BOGO offers.
A BOGO deal is a type of WooCommerce discount tactic that is proven to work better than other promotions. This is because customers like giveaways. You can even increase the probability of the purchase by offering time-constrained coupons. This creates a sense of urgency and helps push customers to make faster decisions.
Setting BOGO coupons up is seamless with the plugin Smart Coupons for WooCommerce. They offer many excellent features that let you set up robust WooCommerce Buy One Get One offers suitable for several use cases. So check the plugin out and let us know how you feel about it in the comments below.