WooCommerce PDF Invoices, Packing Slips, Delivery Notes & Shipping Label plugin delivers a fully customizable PDF invoice that can be viewed or printed on placing a successful order. Furthermore, a print invoice option will be enabled on the My Orders page, as well as an email attached to the currently active PDF invoice that will be sent to the customer.
The pre-requisite to generating and emailing your invoices is to set up an invoice number. The steps detailed below will help you achieve the same.
Invoice Number Generation
A unique invoice number is generated for each invoice associated with a specific order. However, an invoice number can be customized in the manner you want from the invoice settings page. An invoice number can be generated in two methods:
- use the order number as the invoice number,
- or generate a sequential invoice number that’s independent of the order number.
The invoice number can be configured under Invoice/Pack List > Invoice > Settings or you can directly navigate to invoice from the dashboard.
You can set up a custom invoice number with prefix/suffix/number series or even mirror the order number as invoice number respectively.
- Invoice number format: Specify the format in which the invoice has to be generated. For example: [prefix][number][suffix]
- Use the order number as invoice number: Choose Yes to use the order number as the invoice number. If you want to generate a custom invoice number then select No and input the necessary details into the populated fields. The fields are populated on the basis of the number format previously selected.
- Invoice Start Number: Enter the Invoice Start Number.
- Invoice Number Prefix: Enter the prefix which will be added before the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters in this field as shown in the popup.
- Invoice Number Suffix: Enter the suffix which will be added after the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters as a suffix as shown in the image above.
- Invoice Length: Indicates the total length of the invoice number. If the length of the generated invoice number is less than the provided, it will be padded with ‘0’. E.g if you specify 7 as invoice length and your invoice number is 8009, it will be represented as 0008009 in the respective documents.
Update and reset the invoice number format settings by clicking on the Update and Reset button.
PDF version of the currently active invoice will be attached with the order email if and only if following settings are done appropriately,
As the name implies, it is in the general tab where the essential basic details like the company info and shipping from address details are configured. The information entered in the general tab is taken as the common source of data across all documents in the plugin.
You can configure the general settings required for the invoice in the general tab.
- Enable invoice: Disabling will remove the invoice view/print provisions for orders.
- Generate Invoice for Order Statuses– This option lists all the order statuses for which invoices can be generated. You can select multiple statuses based on your requirements.
- Attach invoice PDF in the email: PDF version of the currently active invoice template will be attached to the order email.
- Enable Print Invoice option for customers – You will able to display a print invoice button for your customers.
- Enable variation data: To include variation data of the product in the invoice, enable this option.
- Upload signature: If you want the signature to be displayed in the invoice, upload it in this field.
- Custom logo for invoice: To have a custom logo different from that uploaded in the general settings page, upload it in this field. If left blank, then the default logo will be populated.
The settings can be saved by clicking on the Update Settings button.
Now that all the settings pertaining to invoice generation and email are configured, an invoice number with configured format will be generated and corresponding automated e-mail with an attached invoice will be sent to customers.