The screenshots and content you are viewing may correspond to an older version. We are in the process of updating the documentation to reflect the current version. Until then, you may refer to the latest set up guide for an insight.
Organizing the products categorically in an e-commerce platform can drive buyers to exactly what they are looking for. Shoppers often filter their searches to obtain the exact matches of what they want. Therefore, it is essential to organize your products under proper categories. In order to achieve this, you can use the product import export plugin which helps in categorizing products very easily. The plugin allows you to organize products in multiple categories, subcategories and even update existing categories of products.
In this article we will be detailing on how the existing product category of a product can be updated using the product import export plugin:
Export products into a CSV
Let us begin with exporting the products of your store to identify the existing product categories assigned for each product. To export, do the following:
- On successfully installing and activating the plugin, navigate to WooCommerce > Product Im Ex from your dashboard.
- By default the Product Export panel opens up as shown below:
- If you want your product to appear under multiple categories then separate them using the pipe (‘|’) symbol, for example, in the above case, ‘Tshirts|Clothing’. This will make the product Polo appear both in Tshirt and Clothing category.
- If you want your product to appear as a subcategory, then separate the categories by using the ‘ > ‘ symbol. Learn More
Import products using updated CSV
The products can be imported back with the updated category in the following manner:
- Navigate to WooCommerce > Product Im Ex
- Move on to the Import section. Attach the updated CSV file from your system.
- Enable the update products if exists checkbox to update the existing product details as shown above. Existing products are identified by their product ID/SKU.
- Proceed to upload file and import for moving to the mapping fields.
Note: Optionally, while uploading the CSV for updating product category, either
- Upload the CSV by deleting all other columns except the column to which the change is made or else
- Choose Do not import for all other columns except the column to which the change is made from the Map field section.
- From the mapping page, submit to import the updated product price.
- On successfully merging products, you can see that the product category is updated to the latest category.