WooCommerce coupon system lets you create a variety of coupons to attract customers to your online store. But the default coupon setup may be inadequate to fulfil certain customer needs. An extended coupon plugin like the Smart coupon for WooCommerce may serve the purpose. It will help you to create personalized or custom coupons for your store.
One of the most common and popularly used giveaways is the Buy X and get X for a 50% OFF coupon.
- Firstly, install and activate the plugin, and navigate to Smart Coupon > Coupons from your WordPress dashboard.
- Click on Add coupon button.
- Key in an appropriate coupon code and description
Configuring the coupon
Set the discount type
As a first step, head on to the General tab. Select the discount type as BOGO (Buy X Get X/Y) from the discount type dropdown
- Set the coupon apply frequency (Number of times).
- Apply once: If the cart is eligible or conditions are met, the coupon applies once. ie: If you set the coupon to offer Buy 2 Get 1, you get one free product. Moving more items to the cart will not make it eligible to get more free products.
- Apply repeatedly: The coupon applies repeatedly whenever the cart is eligible or if conditions are met. ie: If you set the coupon to offer Buy 2 Get 1 then the coupon works repeatedly for Buy 4 Get 2 and so on.
Optionally, you may also set the following:
- coupon start and expiry date
- apply coupon automatically
- display available coupons in the cart, checkout or My account page.
Assign coupon apply conditions from Usage restriction tab
Next, from the Usage restriction tab, select the product or category you wish to give the offer.
Product/Category restriction: Enable to apply coupons only if the cart satisfies the product or category restrictions.
Individual quantity restriction: Enable to set minimum and maximum quantity restrictions for individual product/category instead of the entire cart. If disabled, then the Minimum quantity of matching products will be considered.
Any from below selection: Applies coupon if any of the products from below is available in the cart.
All from below selection: Applies coupon if the cart contains all of the listed products.
Products: Products that the coupon will be applied to or that need to be in the cart in order for the discount to be applied by satisfying the min and max quantity restrictions.
Exclude products: Products that the coupon will not be applied to or that cannot be in the cart in order for the discount to be applied. This will not be applicable for percentage and fixed product discount.
In the above example, move two ‘XC Tshirt or YT Tshirt’ to the cart to be eligible for the coupon.
Select the products to offer on discount
Under the Giveaway products tab, choose the product or category that you wish to give on offer. It can be the same product in the cart, any product from the store or any product from the same or different category and so on.
Customer gets: Choose what the customers get for free or with a discount if the cart eligibility or conditions are met.
It adds free product/s to the customer’s cart on applying the coupon based on the following selection:
- Specific product
- Any product from a specific category
- Any product in store
- Same product as in the cart
- Any product from the same category as in the cart
However, in this example, we can proceed by choosing the option Specific products.
Offer BOGO for specific product
If cart eligibility or conditions are met, your customers will get specific product/s for free or with a discount.
In the above example, the customer will get ‘ZC T-shirt on 50%’ discount on buying two ‘XC Tshirt or YT Tshirt’.
Finally, publish the coupon.
Redeeming the coupon
‘Buy 2 get 1 at 50%‘ for a Specific product will appear on the front end as shown below: