It’s likely that store owners may prefer to have a customised invoice number for their invoices. Their requirement may vary from having an appended date format to having a predefined invoice length etc. However, with the WooCommerce PDF Invoice, Packing Slip, Delivery notes and Shipping Label plugin you can achieve this very easily.
The plugin holds a dedicated invoice number settings for configuring the number formats alone. Checkout our short tutorial given below to know how the invoice number can be changed.
You can get started by installing and activating the plugin. From the WordPress dashboard, navigate to the Invoice/Packing > Invoice.
The invoice number pattern can be configured from the invoice number tab. By default, the order number is taken as the invoice number. To override this, disable the option and set an invoice starting number. You can even reset the number and assign it accordingly. You can set up a custom invoice number with prefix/suffix/number series or even mirror the order number as invoice number respectively.
- Invoice number format: Specify the format in which the invoice has to be generated. For example: [prefix][number][suffix]
- Use the order number as invoice number: Choose Yes to use the order number as the invoice number. If you want to generate a custom invoice number then select No and input the necessary details into the populated fields. The fields are populated on the basis of the number format previously selected.
- Invoice Start Number: Enter the Invoice Start Number.
- Invoice Number Prefix: Enter the prefix which will be added before the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters in this field as shown in the popup.
- Invoice Number Suffix: Enter the suffix which will be added after the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters as a suffix as shown in the image above.
- Invoice Length: Indicates the total length of the invoice number. If the length of the generated invoice number is less than the provided, it will be padded with ‘0’. E.g if you specify 7 as invoice length and your invoice number is 8009, it will be represented as 0008009 in the respective documents.
Update and reset the invoice number format settings by clicking on the Update and Reset button.
For example, if the prefix is chosen to be as [m] referring to the numerical form of the active month and the suffix as [Y] referring to the numerical form of the active year.
You can specify the total length required for the invoice in the invoice length field. If the length of the generated invoice number is less than the provided, it will be padded with zeros to maintain the total length.
Update the settings to save the changes made.
Let’s have a look at the invoice number (font color-red) with the above configuration in place. Here, 09 is the prefix, the rest of the six numbers indicates the invoice length padded with two zeroes and the suffix 2019.
An invoice is something which is used by the customer as well as the store owner as a medium containing all the order details. Therefore, to have a personalised invoice number to denote its whereabouts can be of utmost importance.