Why do we need to export WordPress users?
Suppose you are having a huge amount of user data in your WordPress site then, it’s likely that you may come across certain scenarios as stated below:
- You are merging two sites. Then you can export users from one site and import to the other.
- You may want to save your user’s details locally and want to use it later for the marketing purposes.
- You want to export users into an email list or your CRM.
It is very important to handle your database accurately when dealing with such a large amount of data.
What is the purpose of preserving passwords? As we mentioned above you want to merge two sites and all your users should be able to continue with their account without any trouble. You can surely ask them to reset passwords, but it is not the ideal user experience. Thus, preserving passwords is a crucial thing when you are exporting WordPress users.
Export users from WordPress and preserve passwords
WordPress already includes built-in import and export functionality. However, this feature doesn’t include user databases. Let’s discuss how you can export users from WordPress and preserve passwords.
First thing you need to do is install and activate the WordPress Users & WooCommerce Customers Import Export plugin.
Install and activate the plugin
- Download the plugin from API Downloads tab of My Account page
- Install the downloaded plugin into your WooCommerce site.
- Login as site admin and go to the settings page of the plugin, then activate it using the email and API key that was received in your email.
For more details about the installation process read this article.
Export users from WordPress
After installing the plugin, follow the below steps
1. Navigate to Dashboard > Users > User Import Export
2. Go to Import/Export tab > Export sub-tab
Use the filter options from the Filter data for export page. You can preview the selected users in the RHS.
3. Click on the Step 2: Map and transport button and go to the next step of the export This will take you to the following screen.
4. Click on Export Users, the CSV file gets auto-downloaded to your computer.
5. Enable FTP export to export all the users and user data to the CSV file and save it on the remote server.
Exported users CSV file will be as shown below
Fourth column of the CSV file will be the user password. Thus the password will be preserved. You can use this CSV file to import users to another site with their passwords, so users don’t have to reset their passwords.
To know more about other features, check the product page.
For more information on importing and exporting of users, read this documentation.