WooCommerce PDF Invoices, Packing Slip, Delivery Notes and Shipping Labels plugin are fully equipped to generate and manage all types of documents relevant for an eCommerce store.
A credit note can be generated for partial or fully refunded orders. You can set up a custom credit note number with prefix/suffix/number series as well as append additional order or product meta details into the credit note. It allows to customize the credit note using the inbuilt templates and modify them to suit your needs.
You can get to this section by navigating to the Invoice/Packing > Credit Note menu from your WordPress dashboard or directly by clicking on the Settings button from the documents tab. A credit note can be configured in two easy steps:
Step 1: General Settings
You can configure the general settings required for the credit note in the general tab.
- Order meta fields: Append additional order information in the credit note by selecting the required item from the drop-down. You can select a field from the list of default fields or click the Add Existing Order Meta Field button to create custom meta fields by providing a custom Field Name and the respective meta key for the field. The order meta keys can be found in the custom field section in the WooCommerce Order page of a product.
To add other order meta details other than the ones displayed in the drop-down, click on Add Existing Order Meta Field.
- Product meta fields: Select/add additional product information in the credit note. Click the Add Product Meta to add a new product meta field by providing a custom Field Name and the respective meta key for the field. The product meta keys can be found in the custom field section of the product page.
- Attach credit note PDF in the email: PDF version of the currently active credit note template will be attached to the order email.
The settings can be saved by clicking on the Update Settings button.
Credit Note Number
Next, you can set up a custom credit note number with prefix/suffix/number series or even mirror the order number as a credit note number respectively.
- Credit note number format: Specify the format in which the credit note has to be generated. For example: [prefix][number][suffix]
- Use the order number as credit note number: Choose Yes to use the order number as the credit note number. If you want to generate a custom credit note number then select No and input the necessary details into the populated fields. The fields are populated on the basis of the number format previously selected.
- Credit Note Start Number: Enter the Credit Note Start Number in the field provided.
- Prefix: Enter the prefix which will be added before the credit note number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters in this field as shown in the popup.
- Suffix: Enter the suffix which will be added after the credit note number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters as a suffix as shown in the image above.
- Credit Note Number Length: Indicates the total length of the credit note number. If the length of the generated credit note number is less than the provided, it will be padded with ‘0’. E.g if you specify 7 as credit note number length and your credit note number is 8009, it will be represented as 0008009 in the respective documents.
Update and reset the credit note number format settings by clicking on the Update and Reset button.
Step 2: Customize
With the customizer, you can personalize the overall appearance of your document. You are provided with inbuilt themes to choose from as well as you can create new themes or templates from the existing ones. Additionally, toggle controls are given at the right-hand side of the window, which when enabled or disabled will be reflected in the sample credit note template.
To create a new credit note template,
- Select a template from the Create new template option.
- From the inbuilt templates that pop up, choose a layout.
- The chosen layout will then be displayed in the customize window. The elements that are already configured from General Settings will be auto-populated. Users can make the necessary changes to the layout using the toggle options.
- You can even switch to the code editor, to make additional customizations other than the one listed in the visual editor.
- While making changes via code editor it would be better for you to refer the help which briefs about placeholders, alternate classes for RTL support, etc as shown below:
- Save and activate the template to use it further for your credit note.
You can even print/download the credit note for refunded orders from WooCommerce Orders page as shown below:
A sample credit note will be as shown below:
For detailed information, you can refer to the Product Page.