This is a complete documentation of integrating your WooCommerce store with the Paypal Express Checkout Payment Gateway which is the advanced version of the Standard PayPal payment option that is included within WooCommerce.
Using the plugin you can enable express checkout in your WooCommerce store that reduces the number of clicks a customer needs to go through to complete the entire checkout process.
How PayPal Express Checkout Speeds up the Checkout Process in your Store
When you integrate the PayPal Express Checkout Shortcut, your buyers can speed through checkout using the shipping information and funding source already stored in their PayPal accounts. They don’t have to re-type any information—saving them time and reducing shopping cart abandonment. And once the transaction is approved, the money will show up in your PayPal account within minutes.
Installation of the Plugin
You can install the plugin either from the WordPress plugin directory or as a zip downloaded from the WordPress.org website. You can learn more about the installation procedure by reading the article How to Install a Free Plugin from WordPress.
Pre-requisites of the Plugin
To proceed with the configuration settings you need to Signup and create a PayPal business account.
Getting Started with The Plugin
After the installation of the plugin, you can navigate to Plugin in two ways as given below:
- Navigate to WooCommerce > Settings > Payments > PayPal Express OR
- Navigate to Plugins > Installed Plugins > PayPal Express Checkout Payment Gateway for WooCommerce
The following is a screenshot of the plugin setting window.
Set up and Configuration of the Plugin
Learn how to set up and configure the plugin to integrate PayPal Express Checkout within your WooCommerce store.
Enable PayPal Payment Gateway
- PayPal Payment Gateway – Selecting this checkbox will enable Paypal payment gateway in your store.
- Title – Enter the title of the PayPal checkout in the checkout page that the user can see.
- Regular description – Enter a description for PayPal checkout that the user sees during checkout.
To use the WooCommerce PayPal Express Checkout Payment Gateway, you must have a PayPal account. You can open Live or Sandbox accounts free of cost.
Here you can choose the PayPal environment from Live mode and Sandbox mode. Sandbox mode is for testing purposes and customers should not have access to this mode. You can switch to live mode once you make sure everything works as you expected.
- Environment – Choose either Sandbox mode or Live mode from the drop-down.
Based on your selection you can fill in their credentials in their respective fields. You can obtain the API Username, API Password, and API Signature for either mode from the PayPal developer account.
PayPal Express Checkout Settings
- PayPal Express – By selecting the checkbox you can enable the PayPal Express Checkout option for your customers.
Following is a screenshot of the Express Checkout button on the Checkout page.
When you enable PayPal Express checkout the following settings appear.
- Credit Card Checkout – Check to allow your customers to pay using their credit card instead of their PayPal account.
Button Size – Select a button size for the PayPal Express/Credit Card Button that fits your shop’s theme. Available options are Small, Medium, Large.
Express Description – Provide a description that the user sees during PayPal Express checkout.
Cart Page Checkout – By enabling it, you allow your customers to check out using PayPal Express/Credit card directly from the cart page.
Following is a screenshot of cart page checkout.
Provide additional information that will enable PayPal checkout to work.
Business Name – Enter the business name that you want to display on PayPal checkout page.
Payment Action – Defaulted to ‘Sale’. It allows the shop owner to get the payment after the sale from WooCommerce.
Override Addresses – Enabling this will cause the address of the buyer that is specified during the checkout to override the PayPal member’s stored address. Enabling this will affect express checkout and PayPal will strictly verify the address.
Shipping details – Here you can choose to send shipping details to PayPal instead of billing. PayPal allows us to send only one between shipping/billing address. We advise you to enable this option to ensure PayPal Seller protection thereby to send shipping details to PayPal.
PayPal Locale – Check to set your store locale code to PayPal page locale. Selecting the option will make sure that the display language of PayPal is the same as the default language of your store.
Landing Page: Select the landing page for PayPal. The available options are as given below:
- Login Page: The customer will be directed to the Login page of PayPal.
- Billing Page: If the customer is logged into PayPal Account already then the customer is directed to the Billing page, otherwise the customer is directed to the Login page.
Customer service number – Enter the Merchant Customer Service number which will be displayed on the PayPal Review Page.
PayPal checkout logo – Enter URL of the image to be displayed as a logo on PayPal Checkout Page. Image URL should be of SSL Host URL. The image size is set as (190*90)px and there is a preview area where you can view the preview of the image.
PayPal checkout banner – Enter URL of the image to be displayed as the banner on PayPal Checkout Page. Image URL should be of SSL Host URL. The image size is set as (750*90)px and there is a preview area where you can view the preview of the image.
Skip review page – You can enable the checkbox to skip the review page and to help your customers place their order quickly. If you want to keep the Review page you will have an additional seller policy field to fill.
Seller Policy – Here you can enter the seller protection policy which will be displayed on the order review page.
Following is a screenshot of the Order Review page.
If you are not getting all the available payment options, or not getting any option at all, then you enable Debug option to find an error(s). By enabling logging, you can trace the issue using log. The settings are as shown below:
Logging – Enable Logging to troubleshoot the issue with your site.
Override IPN URL – Enter the IPN URL so that you get notification from PayPal.
Finally, when you have completed all the settings click the Save changes button.
Various Checkout Options
Following are the steps your customer will have to go through on choosing each type of checkouts.
- Once the customer adds the required products to cart, it appears as given below:
- Click Check out with PayPal button.
- The PayPal Login page appears as shown below:
- The customer needs to enter the PayPal login credentials and pay the order amount. If the customer checks out with PayPal Credit Card, the customer needs to enter the credit card and billing details. Once it is done, the customer is directed to Review Page of Order (if not skipped in Admin settings). The Review page appears as shown below:
5. The Customer can Place/Cancel the order by clicking the respective buttons.
Once the customer adds the required products to cart and comes to the checkout page, it appears as given below:
Click Proceed to PayPal and the rest of the steps are the same as the above-explained cart page checkout.