How to setup Stripe Checkout payment gateway
Stripe Checkout is considered to be the most fastest payment gateway which has the capability to drive conversion.
Installation and Activation
After purchasing the Stripe Payment Gateway Plugin for WooCommerce, the plugin zip file will be available in MY ACCOUNT section.
Here’s how you can install and activate the plugin:
- Navigate to MY ACCOUNT -> API Downloads tab, and download the plugin.
Note: If you have the basic/free version already installed, please deactivate and delete it before installing the premium version to avoid any conflict. Your plugin settings will be retained.
- Install the downloaded plugin zip file into your WordPress/WooCommerce site.
- Once installed, you can activate the plugin. You can find Activation Key and Activation Email in MY ACCOUNT -> API Keys section.
- Go to your plugin settings and activate it using the activation key and email address.
For detailed information about installing our plugins, readHow to Download, Install, Activate & Update WooCommerce Plugin?
Once the plugin is installed and activated, you can navigate to plugin settings in two ways:
- Dashboard > WebToffee Stripe/Apple/Alipay/Stripe Checkout(or)
- Dashboard > Plugins > Installed Plugins > Stripe Payment Gateway for WooCommerce > Settings.
All right, now let’s get down to configure the plugin.
Step 1: Create a Stripe account
Prior to setting up the plugin, it is essential that you create a stripe account. The payment gateway can be initiated only by linking the API keys which can be located in the Stripe dashboard on successful registration.
Ceratin useful links are provided within the plugin itself which will be helpful while setting up the plugin as shown below:
You can click on an item to get redirected to the respective link.
- To view the countries where Stripe is available for businesses, click on the Country list
- You can directly register and create a Stripe account by clicking on Create Stripe account.
- To get the API keys, click on Get API Keys link to get redirected to the stripe dashboard.
Step 2: Insert the API Keys into the respective stripe credential field
You can begin the set up by inserting the appropriate keys in the stripe credential fields. API keys can be located in your Stripe dashboard. Transaction mode(test/live) is dictated by the respective API keys.
- Transaction Mode: With this option, you can set the required API mode for the Stripe payment gateway.
Available options are:
- Test Mode: This mode is used to do some test purchasing by using Stripe.com API. There is no real money transaction involved. This mode is used only for development purposes and requires Stripe test credentials.
- Live Mode: This mode is used for the actual payment transaction, and requires live credentials.
- Test/Live Publishable Key: Enter the respective test (or Live) Publishable Key.
- Test/Live Secret Key: Enter the test (or Live) Secret Key provided by Stripe.
Step 3: Enable Stripe Checkout
This section contains all settings related to Stripe Checkout. The settings are as given below.
- Stripe Checkout: Tick this checkbox to enable stripe checkout.
- Title: Enter a custom title for stripe checkout payment. This title will be visible on the checkout page.
- Description: Enter a custom description for stripe checkout payment. This description will be visible on the checkout page.
- Order Button Text: Enter a custom text for the stripe checkout button.
- Stripe Checkout Page Locale: All the supported languages are listed in the dropdown. You can choose the desired locale code from them.
Finally, click Save changes to save/update the plugin settings.
You can see an additional option, Stripe checkout in the checkout page. Unlike the normal stripe, in stripe checkout, the payee will be redirected to the stripe portal for completing the payment.
You can click on the option Stripe Checkout from the checkout page.
You will be redirected to the stripe portal with a prompt to specify the card details. Once the order is processed, you will be taken back to the store completing the order.