One of the key objectives of any business, including WooCommerce businesses, is to raise the profit margin or to improve profitability. Adding more consumers is a smart approach to increase sales, but doing so requires you to locate additional users and convert them into customers. This entails a lot of work, energy, and capital.
However, only relying on a single strategy to improve your sales is not a viable thing to do especially when you are in a highly competitive marketplace like WooCommerce. Improving the average transaction value is another battle-tested strategy that you can use to improve the average revenue.
Improving average cart value is more advantageous as getting more sales from a customer is much easier and less costly than acquiring new customers. But make sure not to annoy or overwhelm your customers while trying to improve your sales. Judging by the success of retail industry giants like Amazon, recommending products during a purchase helps you match the goal.
WooCommerce product recommendations help customers find and buy the products that they need easily and seamlessly. Added perk – this helps to improve customer satisfaction and saves time in searching for supplementary products. This article explains in detail how to set up WooCommerce related products to improve average cart subtotal, tune in!
Why should you show product recommendations in WooCommerce?
Recommending products to customers is a technique proven to improve your sales. WooCommerce product recommendations create a win-win situation because recommending products adds convenience to customers and at the same time grows your revenue.
Some of the benefits of showing WooCommerce related products include:
- Improve the average order value of each checkout.
- Grow your relationship with your customers by offering them the required products.
- Reduce customers leaving empty-handed.
- Promote superior versions of the product they are looking for.
- Recommend products that supplement the current product.
- Recommend more budget-friendly products than premium alternatives.
- Promote products on sale.
There are different techniques by which you can show product recommendations in WooCommerce, it includes:
Upselling means recommending a superior product to the customers while they are browsing a product in your store. The recommended product is usually better in quality and price. This helps to improve the net profit from that sales.
Let’s look at an example to further understand this strategy. Suppose your customer is browsing for iPad Pro – the basic variant, recommending the iPad Pro with higher specs accounts towards upselling. This helps to improve the cart value, profit margin, and customer satisfaction rates.
Cross-selling is recommending products that can be purchased along with the primary product. These complementary products are usually promoted on the WooCommerce cart page. Cross-selling not only increases the cart average but also enhances customer loyalty and brand engagement.
A good example of cross-selling is to recommend the iPad charger while purchasing an iPad from your store. Cross-selling can be employed as a tool that reminds users of the products that they require but might have forgotten.
Down-selling is the exact opposite of up-selling. It means recommending lower-cost products to customers who cannot afford the premium product. This practice lets you cater to customers with varying budgets.
An example of down-selling would be to recommend a lower-spec or older-generation tablet to a customer who is about to abandon the cart. This encourages them to go forward and complete the purchase with a product that matches their budget.
Related products are product suggestions that would be recommended while the customer is browsing through the product pages. These recommendations can be products for upselling, cross-selling, or even down-selling. Related products are a great way to let your customers find items they didn’t know you offered.
The related product for a pair of trousers can be another pair of trousers, a shirt or accessories such as belts and shoes. The related products for each item are what you decide they should be.
How to set up related products in WooCommerce?
You can configure upsells or cross-sells with the default options in the WooCommerce platform. However, if you want to recommend custom-related products you can make use of the free WooCommerce related products plugin from WebToffee.
First, let’s look at how to add upsells and cross-sells in WooCommerce using the default options.
Add product recommendations in WooCommerce
Note that, you will not be able to add WooCommerce related products this way. You can only add upsells on the individual product pages and cross-sells on the cart using the default options.
- Go to Products > All Products on your WooCommerce dashboard.
- Edit the product to which you want to add recommendations.
- Go to Linked Products on the Product data widget.
- Select the required Upsells and Cross-sells before updating the product.
This is how the upsell recommendations would be displayed to the customers.
This is how the cross-sell recommendations would be displayed in your store.
Configure advanced related products with WooCommerce related products plugin
If you want to set up related products in your WooCommerce store in addition to upsells and cross-sells, you will need to use a plugin. The Related Products for WooCommerce is one such excellent free plugin from WebToffee that enables you to add product recommendations to your WooCommerce store.
In addition to adding custom-related products for individual products, you can automatically relate all your products globally based on their tags and categories. For example, you can automatically relate all products under ‘Clothing’ with this plugin.
Here is how you can set up WooCommerce related products with the related products plugin for WooCommerce.
Step 1: Install and activate the WooCommerce related products plugin.
- On your WordPress dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for the plugin ‘Related Products for WooCommerce’.
- Install and activate the related products plugin.
Step 2: Configure the plugin settings.
- Go to WooCommerce > Related products on your WordPress dashboard.
- Choose the Working mode as Custom related products.
- Provide a heading that you want to give for the recommendation, by default the entry is Related Products.
- Choose how you want to relate products globally. You can relate products by category, tag, or both. For instance, if you want to relate all phones in your store you can choose a category as the global constraint for relation (provided you have a category called phones). However, add tag and category as the global constraint, if you want to relate only the phones with the same camera specifications (provided the camera specification is tagged for all products).
- You can sort these WooCommerce related products in a number of ways, some of them being popularity, average rating, price, etc. Select the required setting.
- If you want to show the products in a slider, enable the option Use slider.
- You can select the number of products that should be recommended, the number of products to be shown per view (for mobile, tablet, and desktop), slider customizations, and more.
- You also have options to change the arrangement order, exclude out-of-stock products, etc.
- Once the setup is done, save the changes.
Step 3: Configure individual related products
If you want to automatically relate products based on the category or tag, and do not want to override these settings on a product level, you may ignore this step. However, if you want to add individual recommendations, follow the steps below.
- Go to Products > All Products on your WordPress dashboard.
- Click on Edit corresponding to the required product, and scroll down to the Product data meta box.
- Add Upsells, Cross-sells, Related categories, Related tags, Related attributes, Related products and Exclude categories under the Linked Products tab.
- Update the product once you have done configuring.
Related products displayed on the product page:
Use WooCommerce product recommendations to grow your business. It can be used to improve sales, promote products, and offer upsells & cross-sells. Moreover, you can set this up in no time with the simple and free related products plugin. It is a highly rewarding tool and will help you boost your revenue seamlessly. If you want to learn how to highlight best selling products in WooCommerce check out this article.
Do let us know your thoughts about this article in the comments below.