This document explains how to set up and use the WooCommerce PDF Invoice, Packing Slips, Delivery Notes and Shipping labels (free) plugin.
Features of the plugin
- Attach the shipping document (Invoice, Packing slips, Delivery notes, Shipping label, Dispatch label) in PDF format in the WooCommerce order email.
- Set up a custom document number with prefix/suffix/number series.
- Append additional order or product meta details into the invoice.
- Allows customizing the shipping documents using the inbuilt templates.
Sample documents added by the plugin
- Firstly, install and activate the plugin.
- From your WordPress dashboard, navigate to the Invoice/Packing menu.
The Documents tab allows you to enable or disable each of the documents individually by using the respective toggle buttons. If you don’t need to generate all the given documents in your store, you can make use of this feature to leave them in the deactivated mode.
You can click the Settings button under each of the documents to configure the settings of the documents.
In the General tab, you can add your company info, shipping address, etc. The address details specified here will appear in all the document types.
Company details section
- Company Name – Key in your company name. To include the keyed in name to the Invoice, ensure to select Company name from Invoice > Customize > Company Logo / Name.
- Logo – Upload a custom company logo or image to appear in the documents. Alternatively, input the URL of the image. By default, the logo appears in the top left corner of the documents. To include the uploaded image as logo to the invoice, ensure to select Company logo from Invoice > Customize > Company Logo / Name. Recommended size is 150×50px.
- Company tax ID: Specify your company tax ID. For e.g. you may enter as VAT: GB123456789, GSTIN:0948745 or ABN:51 824 753 556
- Custom Footer – Specify a custom footer that will appear in all documents.
Address details (Sender details) section
- Department/Business/Sender name – Enter the name of the WooCommerce shop owner.
- Address Line1 – Enter the first line of the address, which is mostly the street name and number.
- Address Line2 – Enter the second line of the address, which can be the apartment number.
- City – Enter the city name of the sender.
- Country/State – Enter the country name of the sender.
- Postal Code – Enter the postcode from where you are shipping items.
- Contact Number – Specify the contact number of the shop manager.
Alternatively, load the default WooCommerce store address details into the respective fields by clicking on the Load from WooCommerce.
Lastly, click on the Update settings button, to save the data.
Advanced options section
Next, choose to display the state name instead of the state code in the billing and shipping address.
You can configure the plugin to enable a preview of the document for your users whenever they initiate a print.
To provide support for RTL languages like Arabic, Hebrew, etc. you can use our mPDF addon. Due to the limitations in the inbuilt DomPDF library that converts HTML to PDF, special characters or images may not be rendered properly. Therefore, it would be better if you can use our free mPDF addon plugin to generate PDFs for documents.
- PDF library: Choose between Dompdf and mpdf.
Configure the product price/subtotal inclusive or exclusive of tax from the Show tax option. Click on the Setup Tax button, if not done previously.
- To display all price columns inclusive of tax, choose Include tax.
- To display tax in a separate column not included within the price, choose Exclude tax.
The price columns including/excluding tax will be as shown below:
Finally, you may click on the Update Settings button to save the entire settings.
Help guide tab
This page lists some useful filters that can be used with the plugin to get maximum out of it. It also gives link to the plugin documentation and system requirements.
The below image shows the help section with link to plugin documentation.
The next image lists the system requirements for effective functioning of the plugin.
Free VS Premium tab
This tab lists the features and draws a difference between free and pro plugin.
This page lists the links to product pages of other WebToffee products that help in effective management of your e-store.
Next, let’s walk through the invoice settings window.
Invoice – General tab
Invoice > General window is as shown below:
- Enable Invoice – By enabling, you are permitting admin as well as customers to have access to print, download, and attach invoices in the mail, etc., from wherever applicable. On disabling it, you will remove all the provisions but the admin will still be able to customize the template, set invoice number patterns, etc.
- Invoice date – You can choose between the order date or invoice created date.
- Automate invoice creation – Creates invoices for chosen order statuses.
- Attach invoice PDF to admin email – Enable to attach PDF version of the invoice with currently active invoice template to the admin email. The admin receives mail for all the statues set though “Automate invoice creation” option.
- Attach invoice PDF to customer mails – Invoice in PDF format will be attached with the order email for chosen order statuses. The mails can be generated only for statues that are set through “Automate invoice creation” option.
- Show print invoice button for customers – Adds a print invoice button for your customers.
Invoice number section
- Invoice number format – You can select an invoice number format from the drop-down. You can choose from prefix, suffix, or both for your invoice number.
- Suffix – Use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters as suffix.
- Use order number as invoice number – By choosing ‘yes’ you can use the order number as invoice number. Else, you can create an invoice number of your own choice by specifying an invoice start number.
- Invoice length – It indicates the total length of the invoice number, excluding the length of the prefix and suffix if added. If the length of the generated invoice number is less than the provided, it will be padded with ‘0’. Eg: if you specify 7 as invoice length and your invoice number is 8009, it will be represented as 0008009 in the respective documents.
Invoice details section
- Order meta fields – Select to display additional order information on the invoice. The available options are:
- Contact number
- Customer note
Click on Add/Edit order meta field button to add a custom order meta in the invoice.
- Custom logo for invoice – Here you can upload a unique logo in the invoice other than the one loaded from the general settings. Defaulted to the logo from General settings, if left blank.
Configure additional information with respect to invoice for free orders, PDF name format, etc. from the Advanced options.
- Invoice for old orders: Enable to create invoices for orders created before the installation of the plugin.
- Invoice for free orders: Enable to create invoices for free orders.
- Display line items: Enable to display free line items in the invoice.
- PDF name format: Select a name format for a PDF invoice that includes the invoice/order number.
- Custom prefix: Input a custom prefix for ‘PDF name format’ that will appear at the beginning of the name. Defaulted to ‘Invoice_’.
Finally, hit the Update Settings button to save the settings.
With the customizer, you can customize the overall appearance of the invoice. Choose a template from a pre-defined one and start working on it.
On the right side of the page, you can view different elements that you can add or delete from the invoice using a toggle button. Some of these elements are only available in the premium version of the plugin.
The left side gives you a live preview of the invoice template as you make changes to it.
Sample customization demo
The following table illustrates certain customization examples:
|Change document title||
(Click to expand)
|Add company logo||
(Click to expand)
Troubleshoot: If the uploaded image or company logo is not rendered properly in your documents, please refer to this article for possible workarounds.
|Change invoice number format||
(Click to expand)
|Change invoice date format||
(Click to expand)
|Update product table||
(Click to expand)
Once you expand one of the elements you can view additional customization options specific to the element. You can make use of these customizations if needed.
For eg: When you click the element ‘Company logo’ it expands to provide you with the following customization options.
- Display – Choose either the company logo or company name to display on the invoice.
- Logo width and height – Add logo width and height in pixels.
- Extra details – Add any extra details to display below the company logo.
- Extra details font size – Select font size for the extra details.
- Header color – Choose a header color for the document.
The above customization options are specific to the company logo. Each of the template elements contains extra options for customization.
To get a preview of the sample invoice PDF for a specific order, you can enter the order number in the prescribed field and click the Preview sample PDF (Order: xxx) link.
Once you have completed all the customizations you can click the Save button to save (with a name) the newly configured invoice template. Or you can click cancel to edit the template.
The adjacent hamburger menu contains two options. Create new template (reverts to the default settings for you to create a new template.), My templates (allows you to choose from any previously saved invoice templates).
Steps for saving and activating a template
- Click on ‘Change layout’. This will open up a pop-up window with Predefined templates.
- Choose a template. Next, you can make necessary changes to the existing template.
- Save the template. Specify a template name in the provided field.
- Now, activate the template to further use it for your documents.
QR Code in invoices
To add QR code to WooCommerce invoices we would recommend you to use our add-on plugin that reads order number, invoice number or other custom details.
Read more about the QR code add-on set up here.
Shipping/Address Label Settings
Shipping/ Address Label – General tab
- Shipping label size – Shipping label size is selected as ‘Full Page’ by default. Custom label size is only supported in the premium version.
Just like the customization of the invoice you can make changes to the shipping label by using the toggle buttons.
For additional customization, click on any of the customization elements to expand further customization options.
For eg: customization of From address.
Title – Here you can add the From title.
Title font size – Choose a title font size and Address font size.
Finally, click the Save button to save the changes.
Other Documents (Packing Slip/Delivery Note/Dispatch label)
The remaining documents such as the Packing slip, Delivery note, and Dispatch label are included on the other settings page. You can configure them from this window.
The following are the settings available for packing slip documents.
Include product image – Here you can choose to add a product image in the product table of the packing list generated from your store.
Add customer note – Choose customer note to the packing slip.
Add footer – Add the previously configured (general settings) footer to the document.
Configure the following delivery note settings.
Include product image – Include product image to the delivery note
Add customer note – Add customer note to delivery note.
Add footer – Add a footer to the delivery note.
Configure the dispatch label settings.
Add customer note – Add customer note to dispatch label.
Add footer – Add a footer to the dispatch label.
Bulk print documents
You can print the documents for a given order by clicking on the Print icon in the Actions’ column from the orders page and select the corresponding print option. To print documents for multiple orders, select multiple orders from the WooCommerce orders page and print them via Bulk Actions.