This document explains how to set up and use the WooCommerce PDF Invoice and Packing Slips(free) plugin.
Check out our plugin walkthrough video to get started.
- Firstly, install and activate the plugin.
- From your WordPress dashboard, navigate to the Invoice/Packing menu.
The Documents section allows you to enable or disable each of the documents individually by using the respective toggle buttons. If you don’t need to generate all the given documents in your store, you can make use of this feature to leave them in the deactivated mode.
You can click the Settings button under each of the documents to configure the settings of the documents.
In the General section, you can add your company info, shipping address, etc. The address details specified here will appear in all the document types.
- Company Name – Input the name of your company in this field.
- Logo – Upload a custom company logo or image to appear in the documents. Alternatively, input the URL of the image. By default, the logo appears on the top left corner of the documents.
- Company tax ID: Specify your company tax ID. For e.g. you may enter as VAT: GB123456789, GSTIN:0948745 or ABN:51 824 753 556
- Custom Footer – Specify a custom footer that will appear in all documents.
Address (Sender details)
- Department/Business/Sender – Enter the name of the WooCommerce shop owner.
- Address Line1 – Enter the first line of the address, which is mostly the street name and number.
- Address Line2 – Enter the second line of the address, which can be the apartment number.
- City – Enter the city name of the sender.
- Country/State – Enter the country name of the sender.
- Postal Code – Enter the postcode from where you are shipping items.
- Contact Number – Specify the contact number of the shop manager.
- VAT – Input the shop manager’s VAT number or any other company tax ID as ABN, GSTIN etc.
Alternatively, load the default WooCommerce store address details into the respective fields by clicking on the Load from WooCommerce.
Lastly, click on the Update settings button, to save the data.
Next, choose to display the state name instead of the state code in the billing and shipping address.
You can configure the plugin to enable a preview of the document for your users whenever they initiate a print.
To provide support for RTL languages like Arabic, Hebrew, etc. you can use our mPDF addon. Due to the limitations in the inbuilt DomPDF library that converts HTML to PDF, special characters or images may not be rendered properly. Therefore, it would be better if you can use our free mPDF addon plugin to generate PDFs for documents.
- PDF library: Choose between Dompdf and mpdf.
Configure the product price/subtotal inclusive or exclusive of tax from the Show tax option. Click on the Setup Tax button, if not done previously.
- To display all price columns inclusive of tax, choose Include tax.
- To display tax in a separate column not included within the price, choose Exclude tax.
The price columns including/excluding tax will be as shown below:
Finally, you may click on the Update Settings button to save the entire settings.
Next, let’s walk through the invoice settings window.
Invoice > General window is as shown below:
- Enable Invoice – By enabling, you are permitting admin as well as customers to have access to print, download, and attach invoice in the mail, etc., from wherever applicable. On disabling it, you will remove all the provisions but the admin will still be able to customize the template, set invoice number patterns, etc. Default value is ‘yes’.
- Use order date as invoice date – Choose ‘No’ to have a different invoice date other than the order date. By choosing ‘yes’ you can set the order date as invoice date. Default value is ‘yes’.
- Generate invoices for order statuses – Generates invoice for chosen order statuses.
- Attach invoice PDF in order email – Enable to attach PDF version of the currently active invoice template in the order email.
- Enable print invoice option for customers – You will able to display a print invoice button for your customers.
- Order meta fields – Select to display additional order information on the invoice. The available options are:
- Contact number
- Customer note
- Custom logo for invoice – Here you can upload a unique logo in the invoice other than the one loaded from the general settings. Defaulted to the logo from General settings, if left blank.
Configure additional information with respect to invoice for free orders, PDF name format, etc. from the Advanced options.
Invoice for free orders: Choose ‘No’ to not generate invoices for free orders.
Display line items: Choose ‘No’ to not display free line items in the invoice.
Custom PDF Name
- PDF name format: Select a name format for PDF invoice that includes invoice/order number.
- Custom prefix: Input a custom prefix for ‘PDF name format’ that will appear at the beginning of the name. Defaulted to ‘Invoice_’.
Finally, hit the Update Settings button to save the settings.
With the customizer, you can customize the overall appearance of the invoice. Choose a template from a pre-defined one and start working on it.
On the right side of the page, you can view different elements that you can add or delete from the invoice using a toggle button. Some of these elements are only available in the premium version of the plugin.
The left side gives you a live preview of the invoice template as you make changes to it.
Sample customization demo
The following table illustrates certain customization examples:
|Change document title||
(Click to expand)
|Add company logo||
(Click to expand)
Troubleshoot: If the uploaded image or company logo is not rendered properly in your documents, please refer to this article for possible workarounds.
|Change invoice number format||
(Click to expand)
|Change invoice date format||
(Click to expand)
|Update product table||
(Click to expand)
Once you expand one of the elements you can view additional customization options specific to the element. You can make use of these customizations if needed.
For eg: When you click the element ‘Company logo’ it expands to provide you with the following customization options.
- Display – Choose either company logo or company name to display on the invoice.
- Logo width and height – Add logo width and height in pixels.
- Extra details – Add any extra details to display below the company logo.
- Extra details font size – Select font size for the extra details.
- Header color – Choose a header color for the document.
The above customization options are specific to the company logo. Each of the template elements contains extra options for customization.
To get a preview of the sample invoice PDF for a specific order, you can enter the order number in the prescribed field and click the Preview sample PDF (Order: xxx) link.
Once you have completed all the customizations you can click the Save button to save (with a name) the newly configured invoice template. Or you can click cancel to edit the template.
The adjacent hamburger menu contains two options. Create new template (reverts to the default settings for you to create a new template.), My templates (allows you to choose from any previously saved invoice templates).
Steps for saving and activating a template
- Click on ‘Change layout’. This will open up a pop up window with Predefined templates.
- Choose a template. Next, you can make necessary changes to the existing template.
- Save the template. Specify a template name in the provided field.
- Now, activate the template to further use it for your documents.
You can use the configurations below to set up a custom invoice number with prefix/suffix/number series or mirror the order number respectively.
Invoice number format – You can select an invoice number format from the drop-down. You can choose from prefix, suffix, or both for your invoice number.
Use order number as invoice number – By choosing ‘yes’ you can use the order number as invoice number. Else, you can create an invoice number of your own choice by specifying an invoice start number.
Invoice length – It indicates the total length of the invoice number, excluding the length of the prefix and suffix if added. If the length of the generated invoice number is less than the provided, it will be padded with ‘0’. Eg: if you specify 7 as invoice length and your invoice number is 8009, it will be represented as 0008009 in the respective documents.
Now, click the Update and Reset button to apply the changes to the invoice number.
Shipping/Address Label Settings
In this section, you can configure how you want your store generated shipping label to look.
Shipping label size – Shipping label size is selected as ‘Full Page’ by default. Custom label size is only supported in the premium version.
Add footer – By selecting ‘Yes’ you can add the footer configured in the general settings page to the shipping label.
Shipping Label Customization
Just like the customization of the invoice you can make changes to the shipping label by using the toggle buttons.
For additional customization, click on any of the customization element to expand further customization options.
For eg: customization of From address.
Title – Here you can add the From title.
Title font size – Choose a title font size and Address font size.
Finally, click the Save button to save the changes.
Other Documents (Packing Slip/Delivery Note/Dispatch label)
The remaining documents such as the Packing slip, Delivery note, and Dispatch label are included in the other settings page. You can configure them from this window.
The following are the settings available for packing slip documents.
Include product image – Here you can choose to add a product image in the product table of the packing list generated from your store.
Add customer note – Choose customer note to the packing slip.
Add footer – Add the previously configured (general settings) footer to the document.
Configure the following delivery note settings.
Include product image – Include product image to the delivery note
Add customer note – Add customer note to delivery note.
Add footer – Add a footer to the delivery note.
Configure the dispatch label settings.
Add customer note – Add customer note to dispatch label.
Add footer – Add a footer to the dispatch label.