One of the significant features of the Smart coupon for Woocommerce plugin is its ability to restrict coupon usage on the basis of the minimum quantity or maximum quantity of the matching products purchased.
You can set the eligibility conditions for the coupon by restricting the coupons to a particular product or category, minimum or maximum quantity, etc. and then determine the products to give for offer. The plugin allows applying coupons individually for each product in the cart or for the entire cart.
Offer ‘Buy X Get Y’ Discounts
The plugin allows you to provide full or partial BOGO discounts. However, you can configure the giveaways in the following manner:
- same product as in the cart
- a specific product
- any product from a specific category
- any product from the store
The Buy X Get X/Y discounts facilitate a number of purchasing scenarios such as:
- Percentage (%) or price discount on the second item
- Percentage (%) or price discount on the second item after spending a certain amount
- Consecutive discounts such as Buy 1 Get 1 Half off, Buy 2 get 1 at 50% off
- Scheduling begin and end dates for the BOGO offer
- Option to exclude products or product categories from applying the BOGO
- Recurring discounts eg, Buy 2 get 1, Buy 4 get 2
- and many more.
- Firstly, install and activate the plugin, and navigate to Smart Coupon > Coupons from your WordPress dashboard.
- Click on Add coupon button.
Setting up quantity based discounts
In this article, we’ll be focussing only on the UI fields specific to quantity-based discounts. For a detailed understanding, please visit the plugin setup guide.
- From the General tab, choose the discount type as BOGO (Buy X Get X/Y) offer. The enhanced BOGO discounts offer varied quantity or price based discounts such as buy x and get the same product/any product from store/specific product from store/product from a specific category, etc.
- Set the coupon apply frequency (Number of times).
- Apply once: If the cart is eligible or conditions are met, the coupon applies once. ie: If you set the coupon to offer Buy 2 Get 1, you get one free product. Moving more items to the cart will not make it eligible to get more free products.
- Apply repeatedly: The coupon applies repeatedly whenever the cart is eligible or if conditions are met. ie: If you set the coupon to offer Buy 2 Get 1 then the coupon works repeatedly for Buy 4 Get 2 and so on.
- Coupon amount – Fixed value or percentage, depending on the discount type you choose. Entered without a currency unit or a percent sign, e.g., Enter ’10’ for £10 or 10%.
- Allow free shipping – Removes shipping costs on coupon redemption. Enable Free Shipping from WooCommerce settings.
- Coupon expiry date – Set an expiry date for the coupon. Expiry happens at 12:00 am or 00:00 on the date chosen. If you want a coupon to be valid through Christmas Day but invalid the moment Christmas is over, set the expiration date to YYYY-12-26 as it will expire on YYYY-12-26 at 00:00. It uses your site’s time zone setting at Settings > General > Timezone in WordPress.
- Coupon start date: Set a start date on which the coupon must be active.
- Apply coupon automatically: Automatically applies coupons on checkout if the criteria are met.
- Make coupons available in – Lists all available coupons on the MyAccount page, Cart, and/or Checkout.
Minimum spend – This allows you to set the minimum subtotal needed to use the coupon. Note: The sum total of the cart subtotal+tax is used to determine the minimum amount.
Maximum spend – This allows you to set the maximum subtotal allowed when using the coupon.
Individual use only – Check this box to not use coupons in conjunction with other coupons.
Coupons can be used with: Input one or more coupon codes to use along with a created coupon.
Coupons can’t be used with: Configure the list of coupons that cannot be redeemed together with the specified.
Exclude sale items –Check this box if the coupon should not apply to items on sale. Per-item coupons will only work if the item is not on sale. Per-cart coupons will only work if there are items in the cart that are not on sale.
Product/Category restriction: Enable to apply coupons only if the cart satisfies the product or category restrictions.
Individual quantity restriction: Enable to set minimum and maximum quantity restrictions for individual product/category instead of the entire cart. If disabled, then the Minimum quantity of matching products will be considered.
Any from below selection: Applies coupon if any of the products from below is available in the cart.
All from below selection: Applies coupon if the cart contains all of the listed products.
Products: Products that the coupon will be applied to or that need to be in the cart in order for the discount to be applied by satisfying the min and max quantity restrictions.
Exclude products: Products that the coupon will not be applied to or that cannot be in the cart in order for the discount to be applied. This will not be applicable for percentage and fixed product discount.
Any from below selection: Applies coupon if the eligible quantity of products from any of the below selected categories are available in the cart.
All from below selection: Applies coupon if the cart contains the eligible quantity of products from all of the below-listed categories.
Product categories: Product categories that the coupon will be applied to or that need to be in the cart in order for the discount to be applied by satisfying the min and max quantity restrictions.
Exclude categories: Product categories that the coupon will not be applied to or that cannot be in the cart in order for the discount to be applied. This will not be applicable for percentage and fixed product discounts.
Quantity or subtotal based restriction for all items in the cart:
Minimum quantity of matching products: Minimum quantity of the products that match the given product or category restrictions. If no product or category restrictions are specified, then the total number of products is used.
Maximum quantity of matching products: Maximum quantity of the products that match the given product or category restrictions. If no product or category restrictions are specified, then the total number of products is used.
Minimum subtotal of matching products: Minimum price subtotal of the products that match the given product or category restrictions.
Maximum subtotal of matching products: Maximum price subtotal of the products that match the given product or category restrictions.
Under the Giveaway products tab, choose the product or category that you wish to give on offer. It can be the same product in the cart, any product from the store or any product from the same or specific category and so on.
You can also provide partial discounts on the free products.
Customer gets: Adds free product/s to the customer’s cart on applying the coupon based on the following selection.
- Specific product
- Any product from a specific category
- Any product in store
- Same product as in the cart
- Any product from the same category as in the cart
To learn more about how to offer BOGO discounts, please refer to this article.
Apply tax only on discounted value: Enable this option to calculate the tax only on the discounted value, e.g, If you are providing a discount of $10 on a $100 product, enabling this option will calculate tax only on $90, which is the product giveaway price (sale price).
After configuring BOGO in the required manner, publish the coupon and your coupon is ready to use.