When you are merging multiple sites and want to automatically shift all users to a new site, the quickest way to accomplish this is by using a plugin to export and import the user data. WordPress User & WooCommerce Customers Import Export Plugin is one of the best plugins that can help you import user data in CSV/XML formats.
Click to download the Sample CSV
To import WordPress users / WooCommerce customers:
- Click on WebToffee Import/Export(Pro) > Import
Step 1: Select post type
As a first step, you need to choose the post type as Users/Customers.
Step 2: Select the import method
Choose from the below options to continue with your import:
- Quick import
- Based on a pre-saved template
- Advanced import
Let us have a look at each of these import methods:
- imports the basic/standard fields of the respective post type.
- used primarily when your input file was exported using the same plugin
- One can import file from:
- Click the Import button to complete the action or proceed to Step3 for advanced options.
- Navigate to Step 4 to know more about Advanced options/ Batch import/ Scheduling.
From pre-saved template
- This method retains the previous filter criteria and other column specifications as per the chosen file and imports data accordingly.
- By selecting this option, one can choose a previously saved template from the Import template drop-down.
- Click the Import button to complete the action or proceed to Step3 to map columns.
- Navigate to Step 3 to know more about mapping import columns.
- This option will take you through a detailed process of filtering/column selection/advanced options that may be required for your import.
Step 3: Map import columns
- Here, one can map and reorder the import columns under the following 3 fields:
- Default fields: The column names appearing in this section can be edited if required. Preferred names and choices that have been saved for the last time can be viewed by choosing a pre-saved template.
- Meta(custom fields)
- Hidden meta
- Click on Step 4 to proceed.
Appends a value/expression to an existing item while importing. It basically selects/maps any column from the input file and compute the values with expressions and creates output.
- Expression: Any of the operators +*/-()&@ or string constants can be used along with the attributes to manipulate the respective value.
- Input: Select the column from the dropdown which has to be modified.
- Output: Sample value will be created based on the first record from input file.
Step 4: Advanced Options/Batch Import/Scheduling
- On reaching Step 4, the following window will appear, from where one can:
- Update Only: If you choose “Yes,” the store will only be updated with data from the input file for matching/existing records in the file. When you choose “No,” the entire data from the input file is processed for an update or insert, depending on the situation.
- Match users by their: ID, Email, Username
- If the user exists in the store: One can either Skip or Update the entry.
- Retain user passwords
- Email new users: One can Email all the new users upon successful import.
- Save the template file for future (if needed).
- Click on Import/Schedule to finish.
You can either import the users directly into your store or schedule the import.
To schedule the import:
- Hit the Schedule option, and you will be taken to the cron schedule window as shown below:
The plugin supports two different schedule types:
- WordPress Cron: Upon a visit, WordPress Cron will check to see if the time/date is later than the scheduled event/s, and if it is– it will fire those events.
- schedules your job at the specified time.
- is dependent on your website visitors.
- Server Cron: You may need to trigger the URL every minute depending on the volume of data to be processed.You can use this option :
- to generate a unique URL that can be added to your system in order to trigger the events.
- if you have a separate system to trigger the scheduled events.
In addition, the import/export can be scheduled on a daily, weekly, monthly, custom basis. One can also configure the time at which the import has to be scheduled.
To directly import:
- Hit on the Import option
When the import is done, a pop-up window will appear with the import status, including the number of active and failed imports (if any).
To know more : WordPress Users & WooCommerce Customers Import Export Plugin.