GDPR law simply emphasizes on personal security and data protection. It ensures that the users accessing a website provide their consent before proceeding further with the use of the site. Eventually, it is beneficial both for the users to be knowing about the various information being collected from them as well as the site owners can explicitly inform users about what type of data is collected.
The cookie banner can be designed and created to suit various needs of the site owners depending upon the site theme and its associated requirements. GDPR cookie consent plugin allows you to obtain a customized cookie banner for your site. It consists of various functionalities to fulfill the varied needs of the site owners. The site owner can decide on how the cookie banner must appear on their website, its position, design, etc.
Achieving the consent from the user is the key to GDPR law. The user can either accept, reject or partially accept the cookie. With the GDPR cookie consent plugin, you can design your cookie bar as a banner, pop up or as a widget. On choosing the layout as pop up, you will get additional option to set the pop as an overlay on the site by blocking the user from further using the site if consent is not provided. This methodology can actually make an explicit awareness to the visitor that the site is using cookies and it is necessary to mark the consent to proceed further.
Let us see how this can be achieved using the GDPR cookie consent plugin:
- Install and activate the GDPR Cookie consent plugin.
- Navigate to the Cookie Law Settings page. The different tabs of the Cookie Law Settings page allow you to customize the different parts of the cookie notification bar. The General tab is further divided into three sections: Cookie Bar, Show Again Tab and Other.
- The cookie bar tab consists of various options to configure the behavior of the cookie. However, to obtain an overlay to block the user without consent from accessing the site, navigate to the Cookie bar as field and choose popup from the drop-down.
- If the popup is chosen, then the cookie notification will be shown as a popup instead of a notification bar. You can set an overlay along with the popup, which will block the user from browsing the website unless consent is obtained.
- Apart from this, several other settings are also provided in the cookie bar page as shown below:
- The cookie bar is currently field allows you to enable or disable the cookie bar on your website. The cookie bar will not be shown on the front-end of the website if this option is turned off, and the cookies will be installed without any consent from the user.
- Show only for EU Countries enables you to show the cookie notice only to the visitors from the European countries.
- Cookie Bar can be set as a Banner, Pop up or as a widget.
- With the banner option, you get to choose if you want to place the banner in the header or footer. Here, I have placed the banner in the footer.
- As for the widget, you can position it to the left or right of the website.
- On load option allows you to either animate the notification or make it sticky while loading the website.
- On hide option allows you to either animate the way the notification disappears or to disappear without any visual effect.
- Enable the Auto-hide cookie bar after delay option and configure time if you want to assume the user acceptance if he/she lingers in the web page for the specified amount of time.
- Enable the Auto-hide cookie bar (Accept on scroll) option if you want to assume the user acceptance if he/she scrolls the web page.