The invoice number is one of the most important components of an invoice. Every invoice should possess a unique invoice number. Invoice number should be assigned sequentially. But if you have chosen a number system which gets confusing as it gets higher, it can get difficult to manage.
What do you do then? You will have to reset the number system of the invoice number. Using WebToffee’s PDF Invoices and Packing Slips Plugin for WooCommerce you can set and reset invoice numbers easily. This article will guide you through the process of resetting invoice numbers for your WooCommerce store with the help of a plugin.
The invoice number pattern can be configured from the invoice number tab. By default, the order number is taken as the invoice number. To override this, disable the option and set an invoice starting number. You can even reset the number and assign it accordingly. You can set up a custom invoice number with prefix/suffix/number series or even mirror the order number as invoice number respectively.
- Invoice number format: Specify the format in which the invoice has to be generated. For example: [prefix][number][suffix]
- Use the order number as invoice number: Choose Yes to use the order number as the invoice number. If you want to generate a custom invoice number then select No and input the necessary details into the populated fields. The fields are populated on the basis of the number format previously selected.
- Invoice Start Number: Enter the Invoice Start Number.
- Invoice Number Prefix: Enter the prefix which will be added before the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters in this field as shown in the popup.
- Invoice Number Suffix: Enter the suffix which will be added after the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters as a suffix as shown in the image above.
- Invoice Length: Indicates the total length of the invoice number. If the length of the generated invoice number is less than the provided, it will be padded with ‘0’. E.g if you specify 7 as invoice length and your invoice number is 8009, it will be represented as 0008009 in the respective documents.
Update and reset the invoice number format settings by clicking on the Update and Reset button.
For example, if the prefix is chosen to be as [m] referring to the numerical form of the active month and the suffix as [Y] referring to the numerical form of the active year.
You can specify the total length required for the invoice in the invoice length field. If the length of the generated invoice number is less than the provided, it will be padded with zeros to maintain the total length.
Update the settings to save the changes made.
Let’s have a look at the invoice number (font color-red) with the above configuration in place. Here, 09 is the prefix, the rest of the six numbers indicates the invoice length padded with two zeroes and the suffix 2019.
All-In-One - Generate PDF Invoice, Packing Slip, Labels & Delivery Note.
Used by 7,000+ WooCommerce Stores
#1 in Customer Satisfaction
WebToffee Guarantee: Get Your Money Back if You Are Not Satisfied With The ProductBuy Now!