An invoice number is used to distinguish one invoice from another. Thus each invoice should possess a unique number. When you match the order number with the invoice number, it is a lot easier to remember it. You will not have to deal with a string of identification numbers by keeping both the same.
By using WebToffee’s PDF Invoices & Packing Slip plugin for Woocommerce on your store site, you can match invoice number with the order number with only a few steps.
Installation of the Plugin
After purchasing the Print Invoice, Packing Slip, Delivery Note & Label Plugin for WooCommerce, the plugin will be available as a zip file in the API Downloads section of your MY ACCOUNT page.
- Download the zip file from API Downloads by logging into your WebToffee MY ACCOUNTS page.
- Log in as the WordPress Admin of your online store.
- Navigate to Plugins > Add New to Upload the downloaded plugin.
- Choose the plugin file to upload.
- Finally, activate the plugin.
Matching Invoice & Order Number in WooCommerce
From your dashboard, go to the Invoice/ Packlist menu. You can set up a custom invoice number with prefix/suffix/number series or even mirror the order number as invoice number respectively.
- Invoice number format: Specify the format in which the invoice has to be generated. For example: [prefix][number][suffix]
- Use the order number as invoice number: Choose Yes to use the order number as the invoice number. If you want to generate a custom invoice number then select No and input the necessary details into the populated fields. The fields are populated on the basis of the number format previously selected.
- Invoice Start Number: Enter the Invoice Start Number.
- Invoice Number Prefix: Enter the prefix which will be added before the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters in this field as shown in the popup.
- Invoice Number Suffix: Enter the suffix which will be added after the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters as a suffix as shown in the image above.
- Invoice Length: Indicates the total length of the invoice number. If the length of the generated invoice number is less than the provided, it will be padded with ‘0’. E.g if you specify 7 as invoice length and your invoice number is 8009, it will be represented as 0008009 in the respective documents.
Update and reset the invoice number format settings by clicking on the Update and Reset button.
Now all the invoices generated from your store will use the order number as invoice number. Here is a screenshot of such an invoice template.