Printing invoices and the Mailing label is an important task that should be done immediately after an order is placed. Manually setting them up can be a bit difficult, thus, you need to have a plugin to help you do it automatically. Webtoffee’s Print Invoice, Packing slip, Delivery note & Shipping label plugin for WooCommerce takes care of the process in accuracy.
By reading this article you will get an overview of the entire procedure of getting invoice and mailing label ready for printing.
Printing Invoice and Mailing Label in WooCommerce
By filling up details in the invoice and mailing label settings you can enable your store to print invoice and mailing label/shipping label.
Printing Invoice in WooCommerce
After installation, a new menu Invoice/Packing will appear on the dashboard.
Click on the menu to open a new page.
An Invoice is a detailed statement generated by the seller containing information related to goods sold or shipped. The Invoice page is categorized into the following:
- Invoice Number
You can configure the general settings required for the invoice in the general tab.
- Enable invoice: Disabling will remove the invoice view/print provisions for orders.
- Generate Invoice for Order Statuses– This option lists all the order statuses for which invoices can be generated. You can select multiple statuses based on your requirements.
- Attach invoice PDF in the email: PDF version of the currently active invoice template will be attached to the order email.
- Enable Print Invoice option for customers – You will able to display a print invoice button for your customers.
- Enable variation data: To include variation data of the product in the invoice, enable this option.
- Upload signature: If you want the signature to be displayed in the invoice, upload it in this field.
- Custom logo for invoice: To have a custom logo different from that uploaded in the general settings page, upload it in this field. If left blank, then the default logo will be populated.
The settings can be saved by clicking on the Update Settings button.
With the customizer, you can personalize the overall appearance of your document. You are provided with inbuilt themes to choose from as well as you can create new themes or templates from the existing ones. Additionally, toggle controls are given at the right-hand side of the window, which when enabled or disabled will be reflected in the sample invoice template.
To create a new Invoice template,
- Select a theme from the Create new template option.
- From the inbuilt templates that pop up, choose a layout.
- Make the necessary changes to the layout and save it.
- After saving, activate the template to use it further for your invoice.
You can set up a custom invoice number with prefix/suffix/number series or even mirror the order number as invoice number respectively.
- Invoice number format: Specify the format in which the invoice has to be generated. For example: [prefix][number][suffix]
- Use the order number as invoice number: Choose Yes to use the order number as the invoice number. If you want to generate a custom invoice number then select No and input the necessary details into the populated fields. The fields are populated on the basis of the number format previously selected.
- Invoice Start Number: Enter the Invoice Start Number.
- Invoice Number Prefix: Enter the prefix which will be added before the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters in this field as shown in the popup.
- Invoice Number Suffix: Enter the suffix which will be added after the invoice number. You can use any of the date formats or alphanumeric characters as a suffix as shown in the image above.
- Invoice Length: Indicates the total length of the invoice number. If the length of the generated invoice number is less than the provided, it will be padded with ‘0’. E.g if you specify 7 as invoice length and your invoice number is 8009, it will be represented as 0008009 in the respective documents.
Update and reset the invoice number format settings by clicking on the Update and Reset button.
The advanced invoice settings can be used to configure additional information with respect to order/product meta.
- Order meta fields: Append additional order information in the invoice by selecting the required item from the drop-down. You can select a field from the list of default fields or click the Add Existing Order Meta Field button to create custom meta fields by providing a custom Field Name and the respective meta key for the field. The order meta keys can be found in the custom field section in the WooCommerce Order page of a product.
To add other order meta details other than the ones displayed in the drop-down, click on Add Existing Order Meta Field.
- Product meta fields: Select/add additional product information in the invoice. Click the Add Product Meta to add a new product meta field by providing a custom Field Name and the respective meta key for the field. The product meta keys can be found in the custom field section of the product page.
- Custom footer for invoice: Key in with a custom footer for the invoice in the text area. If left blank, then the default footer from General settings will be loaded.
The settings can be saved by clicking on the Update Settings button.
Packing Slip/List is a document containing an itemized list of products, without providing the price information. Similar to the invoice, you can create Packing Slips for the orders too. Packing Slip window is categorized into two tabs:
You can configure the general settings required for the packing slip from this tab.
- Group by Category: Choose Yes to group the products by category.
- Enable variation data: To include variation data of the product in the packing slip, enable this option.
- Order Meta Fields – Allows you to add additional order meta fields in the packing slips. You can select a field from the list of default fields or click the Add Existing Order Meta Field button to create custom meta fields by providing a custom Field Name and the respective meta key for the field. The order meta keys for respective products can be found in the custom field section of the WooCommerce Order page.
- Product Meta Fields – Allows you to add meta fields related to the products in the packing slip product table. Click the Add Product Meta to add a new product meta field by providing a custom Field Name and the respective meta key for the field. The product meta keys can be found in the custom field section of the product page.
- Enable print packing slip option for order status: Adds print packing slip button to the order email for chosen status from the drop-down.
- Custom Footer – Allows you to set the custom footer for packing slips. If no footer text is set here, the default footer text from the General settings is applied.
Once all the settings are configured, click the Update Settings button.
You can customize and create a new template of a packing slip from the existing templates.
For details on how to fill these fields read the article on How to print shipping labels in WooCommerce.