With the Product Import Export Plugin for WooCommerce, you can easily import multilingual products in three steps.
- Install, Activate and Configure the WPML Plugins
- Prepare the CSV to be imported
- Import products using our Import Export plugin
Install, Activate and Configure the WPML Plugins
The product import export plugin is compatible with popular WPML plugins like Multilingual Tools, WPML Media, WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management, and WooCommerce Multilingual.
Refer to the WPML Getting Started Guide for a complete reference.
Translating your site with WPML
WPML offers two different translation modes:
- Translate Everything : While setting up WPML, you can choose to automatically translate all your site’s content. Refer to this WPML guide for more information.
- Translate Some: This mode of translation gives you more control over what to translate. You can go with this option if you do not want to translate your whole site. To learn more about this option, refer to this WPML guide.
Translating content in pages, posts, and custom post types
All the pages, posts, and custom post type contents will be translated using the Translate Everything mode. However, if automatic translation has not happened for any smaller texts, widgets or form fields, you can use the String Translation module for translating them.
Refer to this guide to know everything about WPML string translation.
If you have opted for the Translate some mode, you will have to translate the pages using the WPML’s Advanced translation editor. To use the Advanced translation editor:
- Navigate to WPML> Settings.
- Select the Translation Editor as: Advanced Translation Editor.
- Now, let us try to translate the post content by clicking on Edit as shown.
- In this edit page, on the right hand side, under the section: Translate this Document, click on the “+” icon of the language you want to edit. Here, we are translating the content to Italian.
- In this Advanced translator editor window, click on the “+” icon to add translation. Click on Complete once you have added translations for all the content.
Translating your general plugin texts, including widgets and smaller texts
Worried about how to translate texts that are not in posts, pages or taxonomies?
Here, we have the WPML String Translator! The string translator translates all the general plugin texts, widgets, tagline of the site and every smaller text.
To translate the texts using String translator:
- Navigate to WPML> String Translation.
- To translate the strings manually, simply click on the ”+” icon under the flag of the language you want to translate.
- Fill up the translated content and click on Enter to save the translation.
- To send the strings for translation, select the content and language. Click on the Translate button.
You can either assign the translation job to yourself or to a local translator using the Advanced Translation Editor. Also, you can send the job to be translated by a translation service.
For more detailed information, you can refer to this guide.
Translating WooCommerce elements using WooCommerce Multilingual
You can fully translate your online store with the WooCommerce Multilingual addon of WPML. A detailed explanation of the entire translation process can be found here.
Preparing the CSV to Import WPML products
Product Import Export plugin facilitates import of multilingual products with the help of a CSV file. For updating multilingual products, apart from the default columns, these three additional columns must be included in the CSV:
However during import, only one of these columns(wpml:original_product_id, wpml:original_product_sku) is required. The name of the columns and its format (underscore and colon) should be specified exactly in the same manner as it is given above.
- In the wpml:language_code column, enter the code of the language to which the site has to be translated.
- The product ID of the products can be entered in the wpml:original_product_id column.
- Similarly, the product SKU can be entered in the wpml:original_product_sku column.
Sample CSV for WPML importing will be as shown below. Click Sample CSV of WPML to download a sample.
In the above example, you can see a product with parent SKU as A11 and product_id as 111. In order to import this product in English, Italian and German, you will have to include three additional columns wpml:language_code, wpml:original_product_id, wpml:original_product_sku.
Then, enter the code ‘en’ for English, ‘it’ for Italian, ‘de’ for German in the wpml:language_code column and enter 111 in the wpml:original_product_id column.
Import Products using our Import Export Plugin
The steps involved in importing products is in the same manner as how normal products are imported. To know more about how the products are imported, click here.