The screenshots and content you are viewing may correspond to an older version. We are in the process of updating the documentation to reflect the current version. Until then, you may refer to the latest set up guide for an insight.
If you have a huge amount of products that you want to upload to your WooCommerce store, manually entering the products and its details are far from practical. Using the Product Import Export plugin for WooCommerce, you can upload all the products and product types (simple, variable, grouped, and external) in bulk with incredible ease.
Most people opt for maintaining a spreadsheet, CSV, or XML file of product data. It makes the manipulation of the data easier on a larger scale. To upload products to your WooCommerce store, Product Import Export Plugin for WooCommerce takes a CSV or XML file as input.
The articles on Importing WooCommerce Products from Microsoft Excel File and the article Importing and Exporting Products to Google Spreadsheets will help you more on how to bulk import products from these two popular spreadsheets.
Another important factor when using a CSV file with Product Import Export Plugin for WooCommerce is that it should be UTF-8 encoded. Refer to the article, Saving CSV/Excel File as UTF-8 Encoded, to know how simple it is to do so and encode your spreadsheet by yourself.
Steps to Bulk Upload Products
When you want to bulk upload the products to a WooCommerce store using a CSV or XML file, what you are essentially doing is importing the products in the CSV or XML file into the WooCommerce store. So, to import the CSV or XML file, go to the WooCommerce store, install and activate Product Import Export for WooCommerce.
After the plugin has been activated, navigate to the WooCommerce store dashboard, and then go to WooCommerce > Product Im-Ex. This will take you to the Product Import Export plugin page.
From this page, go to the Product tab, then click on Import. It will take you to the Import page.
From the Import page, you can see that there are three different methods to import the products from your CSV file into the WooCommerce store.
- By uploading the CSV or XML file from your local computer
- By providing the FTP Details
- By entering the URL
1 – By Uploading the CSV or XML File From Your Local Computer
In this method, you can upload the products using the CSV or XML file saved on your local computer. Click on the Choose File button to upload the file from your computer to import the products to your store.
2 – Providing the FTP Details
In this method, you can select the CSV file from your FTP server. Enter the FTP details in the given spaces.
To import a CSV file from the remote server using FTP, first enable the checkbox for FTP import/export. Next, give the following details.
- FTP Server/ Host IP: Here you enter your FTP hostname.
- FTP Username: In this field, enter the FTP username.
- FTP Password: Enter the FTP password.
- FTP Port: Enter the FTP port number.
- FTP Server Path: Enter the FTP server path.
- Use FTPS: Check this option to enable FTPS, a secured extension of FTP.
Next, click on Test FTP, to check whether you have a working FTP connection. Then, the plugin will fetch the CSV file from the server and import it into the WooCommerce store.
3 – Enter the URL of the File
In this method, you can enter the URL of the CSV file from where the CSV will be downloaded and the products in the CSV will be imported into the WooCommerce store.
Next, as you scroll down, you have the following additional options that you gives you much more flexibility over the products that are imported.
- Select a Mapping File – if you have already saved a mapping file, you can choose the mapping file from here. Mapping files are created by mapping the column header of the CSV file to the product data fields.
- Update Products if Exists – Check this box to update the existing products with the same SKU with the data in the CSV file.
- Skip New Products – Checking this box will skip all the products that are not already present in the WooCommerce store.
- Delimiter – Select the delimiter that is used in the importing CSV file.
- Delete Existing Products – Checking this option will delete all the products that are not already present in the CSV.
- Use SKU to link Upsells and Cross-sells – By checking this option, upsells and cross-sells will be linked using the product SKU.
- Disable Thumbnail Generation – Checking this box will disable the regeneration of thumbnails on import.
- New Product Status – This option overrides the statuses of all the products in the CSV.
- Use SKU to Link Grouped Products – Check this option to link grouped items using SKU.
After the import options have been configured to meet the requirements, scroll down, and click on the Upload file and import button.
Next, you have the Map Fields page, where you map the CSV file to the WooCommerce data fields. Mapping is required to ensure that the column headers in the CSV file match with the corresponding WooCommerce data fields.
If you already have a mapping file, then you can choose the mapping file and then click on Submit. You will see a screen that will show the progress of the import.
After the import is successful, you can view the products on the products page of your WooCommerce store. This way you can easily upload products to your WooCommerce store using Product Import Export Plugin for WooCommerce.
The Best Product Import Export Plugin for WooCommerce
#1 in WordPress Official Plugin Repository With 70,000+ Active Installs
#1 in Customer Satisfaction With Most 5 Star Reviews
WebToffee Guarantee: Get Your Money Back if You Are Not Satisfied With The ProductBuy Now!