The screenshots and content you are viewing may correspond to an older version. We are in the process of updating the documentation to reflect the current version. Until then, you may refer to the latest set up guide for an insight.
Often store managers opt for the most convenient way for updating the inventory or stock for their store. In fact, they rely upon the easiest or simplest method for doing it. Product Import Export plugin for WoCommerce is a reliable extension for managing your products in every way possible. The plugin consists of several features to fulfill the varied needs of the store owner. One among them is definitely its ease in managing the stock or inventory.
Basically, the plugin allows you to import or export the products in CSV or in XML format. Several import/export filters or sorting options are also embedded within the plugin for facilitating customized import/export.
WooCommerce, by default, gives provision to manage stock at the product level by enabling the Manage Stock? option.
However, with this plugin in place, you will just have to ensure that the manage_stock column of the CSV/XML is marked as yes for an uninterrupted import/export of stock data.
The import-export plugin offers two methods for updating/modifying the stock or inventory in WooCommerce. Let’s walk through the inventory updating methods.
Method 1: Editing the respective columns of the CSV/XML before import
In the CSV column header for product stock, update the stock value for products that are to be updated. If you do not have a column header for product stock in the CSV file, create one and name it as stock, and update the product stock values.
Our Product Import Export Plugin for WooCommerce facilitates three types of values that will help you update the product stock:
- Replacing stock value: If the existing product stock value is 10, and you replace the stock value with 20, then the updated product stock after importing will result in 20.
- Adding value to existing stock: You can use the (+) sign prefix to the stock value to update the product stock.
If the existing product stock value is 10, replace the value with (+)5, then the updated product stock after importing will result in 15.
- Reducing the value of the existing stock: You can use the (-) sign prefix to the stock value to update the product stock.
If the existing product stock value is 10, replace the value with (-)5, then the updated product stock after importing will result in 5.
The following is a screenshot of the updated product stock values in a sample CSV file:
Once the product stock values are updated, save the CSV file.
Note: For updating product stock, three column headers are necessary: Parent SKU (or Parent ID), Product SKU (or Product ID) and stock header.
Method 2: Updating from Step 2 of the import via Evaluation field
Move to the Import tab of our Product Import Export Plugin For WooCommerce. Check the Update Existing Products option to update stocks of existing products on your store.
Note: You can even import new products with stock, provided the product name (post title) is included in the CSV/XML file.
Next, click Import Products to start importing the products. Further settings appear as shown below:
- You can choose any of the methods for uploading the CSV/XML file. In this article, we are selecting the first method. That is, uploading a CSV file from our computer.
- Click Choose File to browse a required CSV file from your computer.
- Select a mapping file, or click Proceed to Import Mapping to move ahead and create a new one.
- Enter a mapping filename and map the required WooCommerce Product Fields with column headers of the CSV file.
- Use Evaluation Field to fix/update the required value for a particular field.
Make sure Inventory: Stock field is properly mapped to your CSV column header stock: stock value.
- On assigning +5 in the evaluation field against the Inventory: stock row, the existing stock value which is 10 will be increased by 5 so that the present stock will be 15.
- Click Submit to start importing products into your WooCommerce store.
Based on the CSV file imported, the product is merged (or updated) as shown in the screenshot below:
You can check the updated stock in the product data meta-box of the product edit settings of the updated product. A screenshot of the updated stock of a product is as shown below:
These settings will help you update product stocks while importing the CSV file.
To know more about other features, check the product page.
For more information on importing and exporting products, read this documentation.