The article you are viewing corresponds to our latest version. If you are using version ‘3.8.5’ and below, refer this article.
An attribute defines the additional data related to a product. Product attributes are characteristics that include size, color and other features that make it distinct from other products. The WebToffee plugin, Product Import Export for WooCommerce helps import the WooCommerce products with attributes. From a consumer perspective, these attributes may even influence the ultimate purchase decision in the increasingly crowded e-commerce marketplace. Based on the defined product attributes, the store owners can create variable products.
Two types of product attributes in WooCommerce are:
- Global attributes: These attributes and its respective terms, can be used by any product in your store. Global attributes are created in the Attributes section of WooCommerce settings, and hence are defined globally.
- Local attributes: These are custom attributes created in the Attributes section of the respective product data meta-box. Local attributes could be applied only for a particular product .
Mandatory: The exported CSV should contain attributes that can be configured in the WooCommerce Product page, as shown in the screenshot below:
Let us say you have a CSV file with a product containing attributes ‘Size’ and ‘Color’. Here, the attributes with the prefix “pa_” are global attributes.
attribute_data value is displayed in the form of position | visible | variation.
- position: Defines the position of the attribute in the front-end.
- visible: The value will be displayed as 1, if the attribute is visible at the front-end. Else, 0.
- variation: The value will be displayed as 1, If the attribute is used for variation. Else, 0.
Note: Download Sample CSV of Import Attributes.
Importing products with attributes
As a first step, install and activate the product import export plugin. Click on WebToffee Import Export (Pro) > Import menu from the WordPress admin panel.
- Select Products under post type.
- Select an import method: One can choose among: Quick import, Pre-saved template and Advanced import .
- Map import columns: To map import columns. Here, you can map the commercial names to WooCommerce columns. Use Evaluation Field to fix/update the required value for a particular field.
- Advanced Options/Batch Import: Provides advanced options to import and scheduling import.
Click on Import and import the WooCommerce products with attributes.
Finally, head on to Products from WordPress dashboard to view the imported products as shown below:
To view its attributes, move to the Attributes section in the respective product page.
The attributes in the product page will be displayed as:
To check Global attributes, go to Products > Attributes.
Know more about import and export of products.