The Product Import Export Plugin for WooCommerce helps you easily import and export products and product reviews to your store. The plugin has been integrated with WPML and is now WPML compatible, making the plugin works effortlessly with multilingual WooCommerce websites.
To harness the power of both the plugins, you need to purchase both:
What you will need
Make sure you have the Product Import Export plugin with version 1.1.9 or above and a recent version of WPML (version 22.214.171.124 or above)
Getting Started and What to Check
Are you setting up WPML yourself?
Then you need to follow the steps below.
- Set up WPML from WPML -> Languages.
Go through the WPML Getting Started Guide for a complete reference. The initial, simple three-step setup is self-explanatory, asking you to choose your default language, a set of active languages, and a language selector. (For starters, choose the footer language selector; you can change this later.)
- Install and activate the core WPML plugins first, followed by other WPML plugins that may depend on them.
- Install the Product Import Export Plugin for WooCommerce and activate it. You can refer to the plugin documentation on how to install and set up the plugin.
Translating your site with WPML
WPML offers two different translation modes:
- Translate Everything : While setting up WPML, you can choose to automatically translate all your site’s content. Refer to this WPML guide for more information.
- Translate Some: This mode of translation gives you more control over what to translate. You can go with this option if you do not want to translate your whole site. To learn more about this option, refer to this WPML guide.
Translating content in pages, posts, and custom post types
All the pages, posts, and custom post type contents will be translated using the Translate Everything mode. However, if automatic translation has not happened for any smaller texts, widgets or form fields, you can use the String Translation module for translating them.
Refer to this guide to know everything about WPML string translation.
If you have opted for the Translate some mode, you will have to translate the pages using the WPML’s Advanced translation editor. To use the Advanced translation editor:
- Navigate to WPML> Settings.
- Select the Translation Editor as: Advanced Translation Editor.
- Now, let us try to translate the post content by clicking on Edit as shown.
- In this edit page, on the right hand side, under the section: Translate this Document, click on the “+” icon of the language you want to edit. Here, we are translating the content to Italian.
- In this Advanced translator editor window, click on the “+” icon to add translation. Click on Complete once you have added translations for all the content.
Translating your general plugin texts, including widgets and smaller texts
Worried about how to translate texts that are not in posts, pages or taxonomies?
Here, we have the WPML String Translator! The string translator translates all the general plugin texts, widgets, tagline of the site and every smaller text.
To translate the texts using String translator:
- Navigate to WPML> String Translation.
- To translate the strings manually, simply click on the ”+” icon under the flag of the language you want to translate.
- Fill up the translated content and click on Enter to save the translation.
- To send the strings for translation, select the content and language. Click on the Translate button.
You can either assign the translation job to yourself or to a local translator using the Advanced Translation Editor. Also, you can send the job to be translated by a translation service.
For more detailed information, you can refer to this guide.
Translating WooCommerce elements using WooCommerce Multilingual
You can fully translate your online store with the WooCommerce Multilingual addon of WPML. A detailed explanation of the entire translation process can be found here.
How to export WPML products with the import-export plugin
1 – Navigate to your WordPress Dashboard. Here, we have configured English as the default language and German as the secondary language.
2 – There are a total of 6 products added to the store. 3 of which are in English and 3 of which are in German.
3 – The flag on the toolbar indicates the current language of the products displayed. When listing English products the flag on the toolbar looks like this.
4 – When Listing German Products
5 – When you export products of all languages in the store, the exported CSV file has all the 6 products.
6 – You can export products that belong to a particular language. For example, When the admin is in German, and you export products, you can export all and only the products that are in German. For exporting, go to WebToffee Import Export (Pro) > Export.
Refer How to export WooCommerce products for a detailed stepwise instruction and finish the export.
Related article: Steps to import WPML products.